Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Bucket List before 30

Inspired by a post written on The Young Mommy Life, 30 before 30 by Tara, I began to consider what I'd like to accomplish by 30. Tara wrote her post at 24; a lot can happen in six years! I have just under two years until 30, so my list may be a bit more conservative.

While 30 used to be the boundary between old and young, I've heard really great things about the 30's from friends who are now nearing their 40's.

For me, my 20's have been full of really huge life events.  Since 20 I have graduated college and graduate school, contended with my mother's vision loss and precarious health, gotten married, had a baby, relocated from DC to South Florida and back again and held five different jobs (career experiments if you will).  As I near 30, I look forward to more stability and really establishing myself as a woman, wife, mother, friend and professional.

1. Buy a new car, like a 2014 at the end of 2013.  I've only ever purchased a used car and I'm over it.  I want to pick out my own interior and all the bells and whistles.

2. Pay off all of my consumer debt (I am more than halfway there!)

3. Contribute at least $15,000 to my student loans.

4-8. Improve my self-care and pampering. This means the hair salon, the nail salon, an esthetician and potentially some lessons in make-up application! I've also gotten a couple spa treatments in my life, and that absolutely needs to occur on a biannual basis, at least.

9. Go on a family vacation with my brother - we're thinking something all-inclusive in the Caribbean

10. Take Myki to Disney World for his 5th birthday - on property, photo ops with Mickey, all the fancy trim Disney has to offer.

11. Go on a trip with my husband, just he and I!

12. Introduce my husband to Broadway - dinner, a show and hopefully a hotel afterward.

13. Lose at least 30 lbs (lingering baby weight).

14. Complete this 21 Day Meditation Challenge

15. Complete at least one cycle of "Couch to 5k" (I've had this app on my phone for over three years and never made it past week 4 - shameful)

16. Run a 5k; not a regular one though, one of these mud runs or color races.

17. Buy my family bicycles and be one of those families that goes on long Saturday bike rides (weather permitting).

18.  Once I've lost that 30 lbs, have one of those noire photo shoots done, documented evidence that I still got it!

19. Complete a massive photo album with the 100s, maybe 1,000s of digital pictures I have of Myki's first years (5 by then)

20. Achieve professional stability.  I'll elaborate on what that means when I get there.

21. Visit some of my friends who live in places I've never been - Hawaii, Texas (well, a different part than I've ever been too), St. Louis and Southern California.

22. Mentor someone; a young professional, a new mother, etc.  Not just a casual mentorship but a real ongoing relationship.

23. Do something with my writing.  I currently have this blog for my leisure and I moderate a moms listserv for my sorority, but I'd like to earn some kind of income with something I write, freelancing or blogging or even writing a book.

24. Get a really nice technology suite - a top of the line desktop or laptop (dare I say, a Mac) with all the programs I could possibly need, high-quality digital camera, a wireless 5-in-1 printer.

25. Fully decorate my house (or apartment or wherever I live) - pictures all framed and hung, no clutter (just sensible and stylish storage), details and accents like throw pillows and complete bedding (instead of the conglomeration of sheets my mom has given me and pieces we bought at Homegoods)

26. Feel like I am staying in touch with all of my friends.  I have these moments where I feel so lonely, but I have like 100's of friends and I just don't seem to manage keeping in touch very well.

27. Reignite my cooking skills - I am a damn good cook!  But I've been so distracted recently I seem to burn, underseason, oversalt everything.

28. Get in touch with my crafty side - Myki loves projects and I used to love them (I have the scrapbooks to prove it!)  I need to find that patience again and share it with him.

29. Take a creative writing class.  I think this will help with #23

30. Conquer my exhaustion - I am always tired, like always.  I could go to sleep at any point in any day.  I think most of the sleepies are caused by worry and accomplishing this list would diminish a lot of that.

I will pass Tara's torch, what are your goals?  30 just happens to be where I am, but feel free to modify based on where you are - 75 before 75, 19 before 19, etc.

No comments: