Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cartoon Patriot

My son was absolutely a cartoon character in a past life. He spent Inauguration Day playing dress-up in a Captain America costume complete with mask and shield. How patriotic, don't you think?

Mike really wanted to take him to Inauguration. Although it was an incredibly historic day, I just couldn't fathom my "likes to book it on his own" baby in the throngs of Inauguration fans. So instead we watched it on TV. I think ultimately that was the best route. Had we attended, he would not have really seen Barry. But in our living room, he saw him up close. "Barack Obana!" Nope, not a typo; we can't get him to say Obama.

He clapped and cheered for his President! He marched around the living room and cheered some more!

His exuberance was contagious and so intense to make you think he really understood the significance of the two-terms of the nation's first Black president. In 2008, Barack's first election, I was pregnant with Myki. I celebrated not only the election, but the reality that my son would be born under a President who looked like him. Our role models, our leaders, provide context for what we think we can be. My son knows he can be the POTUS, Captain America or anything else!

No comments: