Monday, February 16, 2009

President's Day

After 3 years out in the workforce, I've decided that the 5 day, 40 hour work week is ridiculous.  For people who have families, it's terrible that you need to spend most of your kids waking hours away from them.  School ends at 3 pm (more or less) but your work day ends at 6 PM.  What kind of sense does it make that the most important thing you'll ever do in life (raise children) takes second priority to your employment....which I feel like a lot of moms only do for the paycheck.  And this very short-lived weekend - Saturday for some sort of activity and Sunday to prepare for another grueling work week.  The 3 day weekend should be mandatory twice a month. 

Today was so wonderful.  I woke up at 9....picked up around the house and started the laundry.  I sat here at the computer on google chat for a few hours.  I responded to many of the neglected emails that have accumulated in my inbox the past month or so, checked ALL of my email accounts and read blogs to my hearts delight.  

I then hoped in the shower - another shower in awe of my growing belly and nipples that look more and more like they're for food and not my husband's pleasure as the days pass.  

And then off to Mike's office for a nice lunch with my husband.  It was only burger king (don't judge us, we're about to have a baby - the king understands a budget) but it was nice to be outside, talking, if only for 30 minutes.  

I then headed over to the Pompano Beach Public Library.  I got a library card and spent a wonderful two hours picking up random things from the stacks.  I came home with an assortment of pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding DVDs and books by Jonthan Kozel, Zane, James McBride and Edwidge Danticat.  (I feel like I should say here that I got Zane's recent nonfiction book, not one of her erotica stories....but again, don't judge me.)  

Then back home where I jumped into my PJ's and into bed to read the first of my four books.  And I've just ended the day with a yummy afternoon snack and this blog post as my husband steps through the door.

Everyone, single or not, parent or not, deserves a day like this every couple of weeks...I mean weekly really.  A day to just do and be as you please...no pressures or requirements. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo, i think THE SAME THING. and actually i always say that I think all weeks should be 4 day weeks- I mean wouldn't people be SO much happier and therefore more productive at work? Not that I compare to your situation (children and husband), but even for us singles- it was awesome for me too! I woke up at 9, went running and did Yoga, then laid in bed all day with my bf. all we did was watch tv and crack up, and it was great! we never get that quality time together so I can just imagine what extra time would be needed with a family. plus i think a 3 day weekend is the perfect recovery time for a horrible and grueling work week. maybe we should write to obama and see if he can implement some new federal law. all those workaholic investment banker types can do what they want, but I need a 3 day weekend!

jl said...

i totally agree! and good for you about the library. in peru you cant actually take out the books! its depressing. you cant even see all the books, you look at a list and someone goes to get ur request.