Thursday, February 12, 2009

Health & Fitness

I listen to a pregnancy podcast called Pregtastic.  It's a panel of 3-6 women who are expecting.  Once women give birth, they are rotated out for new pregnant women and the topics vary from breastfeeding to pregnancy choices and what doctors are saying.  They begin each show with basic introductions and 2 ups and a down....2 positives and a negative.  In the spirit of which this blog was conceived, I will begin with my 2 ups in a continued effort to see the positive.

Up #1 - I really do like being pregnant - I feel good, I look good, my baby and I are healthy....what more could I ask for.

Up #2 - In effort to heed my Doctor's recent warnings about my health, I have not had a single pastry or sweet this week.  I've drank all the water and milk my bladder can handle.  And went on two nigh time walks around our community walking trail.

Down - I really want some of the key lime pie that's sitting in our fridge right now.  And I fear I will be off the short-lived health wagon quickly.

Health & Fitness just do not come naturally for me.  Everyone says, work out for a few weeks and it becomes second nature.  It's all about making it a routine, a part of your daily life.  Eating healthy is not about dieting, it's about lifestyle changes.  

But, I don't like to "work out."  I like activities and activities cost money - boxing class costs money, yoga and pilates classes cost money.  And those are just things I don't have the money for.  I will keep hope alive that this daily walking will do the trick - I take it as more of a convo session with my sister-in-law so hopefully her motivation lasts!

And, in terms of eating healthy as a lifestyle, as my mom used to say when I was young - I don't believe in that.  Intellectually, I know that eating healthy can make a HUGE difference in your life, in your health.  But, pancakes, rice and beans, lasagna and tres leches also make a HUGE difference in my life.  I love food - I love to eat it, to buy it, to cook it.  New recipes, restaurants,  afternoon treats at work - I really do love it all!! 

I know that the answer is balance - that, like everything in this life of multiple hats, I just need to find my center - walk as much as I can, eat the lasagna but not the tres leches today, the tres leches after a salad dinner tomorrow.  But, also like everything else, this is often easier said than done.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually recently have changed my eating habits- not only to try to lose weight, but I started to feel like I was putting a lot of bad processed shit in my body and not enough good. So I upped my fruits and veggie intake- I try to eat vegetables with lunch and dinner.. a lot more leafy greens and colorful vegetables. And I eat an apple and some berries with breakfast everyday. Trust I LOVE all those foods you listed (remember I used to come over your house for dinner and beast all that DELICIOUS dominican food?) but its also good to keep your insides healthy and taking preventative measures against diseases. Processed food/packaged food has a lot of chemicals and god knows what in it...then again eating organic and healthy is really expensive so I can't do it to the extend I'd like. Remember you're eating for two now and you gotta be healthy for this kid's lifetime! Eat what you want, in moderation but also make sure to include the good stuff.

Pamela Fuller said...

Good for you! I am trying but my cravings for sweets are kicking my butt! I did pretty well this week - no sweets until yesterday when everyone seemed to be giving out cupcakes for valentine's day. I had 3! So extra. And you can tell the baby was going through withdrawal because after all of that sugar he/she was SOOOO active....like having a party in my belly.

Anonymous said...

Stay encouraged! You're trying. Don't worry about those V-day cupcakes, they're done now, just get back on that kick. I haven't done a week without sweets myself in a while.

Congrats, you look so healthy, and I'm happy for you!

Pamela Fuller said...

Who's anonymous? Thanks for the encouraging words! I am definitely trying.