Sunday, February 8, 2009

Making our House a Home

This weekend was such a productive one in terms of getting the new place together.  I think it's safe to say all of the boxes are unpacked.  We have a couple boxes by the door waiting for a trip to Goodwill, some organization to be done, pictures to hang on the walls and a baby room that currently only has a crib and futon in it (yes, it will double as a guest room).   But our little house (condo) is definitely becoming a home and I am so excited!

Here, a blog entry I wrote (hand written) before we had Internet when we first moved last weekend.  I think it fully expresses my excitement at our new place.  

PS - Once everything is hung, pictures to come.

THE LITTLE THINGS  1.31.09

We completed our much anticipated move this past weekend....this past week I should say since Mike has been transporting things all week.  I am so physically drained, I can't even explain.  It's a different type of tired than I've ever been because although nothing but my feet actually hurts, every single movement seems to require more energy than I can muster.  I have officially graduated from getting up to literally heaving myself from sitting to standing or laying down (my preferred state).  But despite my exhaustion, I am so happy with the little things at this new place.

First, I have a laundry room!  Life without a washer and dryer has been nothing short of excruciating, not to mention smelly.  My standard of cleanliness decreased out of, I hate to admit it, laziness.  Instead of making that dreaded trip to the laundromat, I just bought more underwear, sprayed a little Febreeze and spot-cleaned as needed on the rest.  I never though I could stoop so low.  But in 24 hours of this new apartment, I have done 10 loads of laundry!  The things we take for granted...

Another of life's conveniences that I was missing out on...a dishwasher.  Yes, we really went back to basics in Miami.  So everything...and I mean everything we own that can be washed in the dishwasher has been.  And I finally feel like it's all clean.  Hopefully this will alleviate the dirty dish-filled sink syndrome I formerly suffered from.

But the piece de resistance (Sp?) of it all is our master suite.  OK, maybe it's not quire a suite but I really do love it.  I anticipate many hours here in the months to come.  We have a bed, a bed that I can sit on and my feet don't touch the floor.  And a dresser, something I haven't had since my days in Maryland, and wasn't sure I would get again since my husband doesn't believe in dressers (Crazy I know.)  There's a walk-in closet and a pocket door in a bathroom that seems so much larger than our last one (I hate pedestal sinks by the way).  And the part that really tops it all off?  A recliner!  My future nursing chair, the recliner with it's soft microfiber, soothing rocking motions and calm camel color, currently serve as a retreat in the corner of our room.  A place where I can sit and ponder, write and read and listen to my heart's content.  I'm convinced it's the best money I've ever spent.

So despite my longer commute into Miami, our little home in Pompano has already proven worth the sacrifice.  


No comments: