Thursday, July 3, 2008

Recovering - Thursday, July 3, 2008

It's been a very difficult week. I always feel like I leave a part of myself behind in Santo Domingo. The babies are so small and every time I see them, they are new people! My Dad, he is going through it, in more ways than one. And I can't help but feel that he doesn't have enough people to talk to, enough support to help him get through the days. And Demian, oh Demian, he needs more than what Mom and Dad are providing. They are both so wrapped up in their troubles - rightfully so as they both have fairly serious troubles - but it seems like he's getting the short end of the stick.

On top of that, I got paid on Monday and had a financial meltdown on Wednesday, overwhelmed by my many commitments, wants and needs and the utter sense of impotence that I felt in realizing I absolutely did not have the means to come near fulfilling all of those things. This is becoming a monthly occurrence and something I need to find my way out of - both mentally and financially.

So the past two days haven't really been blog-worthy but I feel like today, things are getting better.

I didn't require 3 cups of coffee as I did on Tuesday and Wednesday.

My day began with a call from my sister-in-law - convinced that entrepreneurship is the only way to success, she has asked me to go into some consulting with her. I'm definitely a fan of projects and looking forward to where this one will go.

My sister-in-law Adriane and her son, Lion


I got to work before 9 AM for the first time since transitioning my commute from the car to the bus (gas is a bitch).

And, I was actually productive today at work - I was an animal, shooting off emails left and right, responding to old inquiries, catching up on my time away and the past few days that I'd spent in a daze. It was reminiscent of my most productive days at work (which have been few and far between the past few months). And it felt good, it felt good to know I was earning my salary, doing everything that was expected of me.

And later in the day, as if Anthony (our Founder & Chairman) had seen exactly how hard I was working, we get a Staff Appreciation email. The office will be closed all-day Monday and Tuesday until noon. Our mileage reimbursement has been increased by almost ten cents a mile! And, the jackpot, we will be implementing summer hours, working from home on Wednesdays is an option from now through Labor Day (if you're supervisor approves - but still an option nonetheless.

1 comment:

jl said...

what consulting? Ya´ll will be great together!