Sunday, April 7, 2013

What a Difference the Sun Makes!

This has been one of the most active and satisfying weekends I've had in quite some time! I am hear to tell you that seasonal depression is real! I feel like I've just woken up from a sedated state or something.

While I am from the Northeast and no stranger to cold or a blizzard, I've lived the last five years of my life in South Florida. I do love the summer - I always have. I've never felt like its too hot or humid; I just love the heat. But I spent my five years in Florida lobbying for a return to winter. I just needed to relocate back to Washington, DC. Professionally, personally, for my family, I was absolutely convinced that DC was what we needed.

So in April 2012, when I got a job in Alexandria, VA, I thought I'd hit the jackpot! As I look back on the last year, I am convinced that professionally, personally and for my family, moving was the right thing, with one exception - winter.

I was prepared for the cold. I knew I'd need winter clothes and I'd have to look beyond a park or pool for Myki's entertainment. What I was not at all prepared for was the sad...and the lethargic. I don't know that it had ever affected me so severely before! Before winter, I was working out almost daily. I had not only lost weight, but I felt strong. I was eating well, feeling sexy, making plans and hanging out, staying up past 10 pm. It was great.

Then comes the cold and the shorter days and I felt like a whiney, sleepy, unfocused mess. I'm pretty sure I had a two week period in there when I didn't wash my hair. I literally went to work in a messy bun every day for two weeks. I was just not prepared for the emotional ramifications of darkness and cold.

I am so excited about Spring and Summer and plan on stocking up on sunlight and outside time while I can!

I've been told that working out, going outside during lunch and even the tanning salon can combat the winter blues. Do you have any tips for avoiding the sad?? I need a game plan come November!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this! I can totally relate. I swear life is just so much better when it's warm and sunny. W went to the park today and it was awesome. They actually sell these special lamps where the light is saod to mimic sunlight. Therapists recommend them to people with depression. Not sure how pricey they are but worth looking into before next winter rolls around! Enjoy the sun!!!