Monday, April 8, 2013

Covering My Parade with an Umbrella

After this wonderfully active and beautiful weekend, the last thing I wanted to do was go to work today. But the sun was shining, the birds were literally chirping and due to my wonderful weekend, I had a little kick in my step and planned on making the best of it.

I had also read an article this weekend about efficiency at work and was excited to test out the advice. The article recommended the 1-3-5 method of making to do lists. For one work day, you select one big, three medium and five small tasks to accomplish. I was ready to start the week off right! (Corny, I know, but anything to help me get more done is greatly appreciated!)

I know Mondays can be tough, I do. And I've absolutely been a less than social and absolutely smile-less person on a Monday, but something must have been in the water today at work. A bunch of people I had to interact with inside my office and out were just grumpy, and rude, and annoyingly insecure. Sometimes I feel like telling people to go home. I mean just like you don't come to work when you're sick, because its contagious, you really need to take a mental health day if you can't pull it together and function at a professional level. The first email I opened was literally a rant from a colleague about all they had to do and why our project hasn't moved.

I am absolutely emotional and passionate about my work, so I get being irritated and even venting but today was just out of control. I think what I was so taken aback by was how susceptible I seem to be to other people's dark moods. So while I went to work in good spirits and the best of intentions, I left over analyzing a rude email and wishing I didn't have to go in tomorrow.

Is there some kind of trick to ignoring people's bad attitudes? Can I build up gloominess tolerance so that no one else's dark cloud can push my sunshine out?

Maybe Ill put an auto reply on my email - "Im in a great mood today so don't rain on my parade. If this email is negative, you should recall it, add some niceties and resend. Thanks!"

No comments: