Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sleepytime

On most days I start to feel the itch to go to sleep around 9:30 PM. I never actually get to sleep at that time though because Mike is against going to bed before midnight. He tells me how we only get to spend the evening's together and we don't get home and settled until 8pm on most nights so how could I cut the evening short, etc. Which makes complete sense - except that I'm exhausted. So we usually land at some sort of compromise and I'm in bed by 11.

Last night was a little different, I had had a bad day. End of the month = time to do bills, which never fails to ruin my day (or week). Some nonsense happened at work - not sure why I still let that bother me! The usual worry and pressure from mom about something - guilt trip and all. And although I'm about to embark on a 5 day adventure to DR to hang out with my brothers, I was sad that Mike wasn't able to come. It seemed wrong that my first trip back home after being married would be alone...

So I moped on the couch for a few hours and to my utter shock and amazement, at 9:30 pm, Mike turned off the TV and all the lights and announced that we'd be going to bed. And we talked in bed for a half hour or so and went to sleep. I think he could tell that the longer I stayed up, the more I would turn all the negative things around in my head and the worse I would feel. So he did the thing that he know gives me great comfort - sleeping snuggled up with him. It was a relief to just let it all go.



In the words of Mike's niece at 5 years old (Zenzele) - "When you're sad, you should pray and then take a nap. And when you wake up, things will be better."

Sometimes it is just that simple.

3 comments:

jl said...

Zenzele is soooo right. I blogged about that once, i think its called Pachamama. It totally works!

FullerII said...

HEY AUNTIE PAMBELLA,

COOL BLOG! BUT I MUST SAY, ZENZI AT 5 IS SOOO TWO YEARS AGO!!!

Jennifer said...

Hey no new posts?! lol....i thought i would add a random/nice memory to your blog. Now this may apply more to me than you, but here goes lol. One thing I'll always remember about you is how thoughtful you are. I have evidence of this thoughtfulness all over my room (at this very moment). I still have (and cherish) two small wooden jewelry boxes you gave me from DR and a pair of volcanic rock turtles you got me from Italy. I really love them all and wanted to thank you again for thinking of me :)