Sunday, June 22, 2008

Down Home with the Neelys

I love to cook. And luckily for Mike (who would live off of McDonald's and chicken wings if I didn't cook), I'm also pretty good at it. So yesterday in my lounging around, I watched "Down Home with the Neelys." It's a cooking show with a terrible time slot on Food Network - Saturdays at 1 PM (or something like that). But it's actually pretty good. This too cute black couple cooks soul food together for a half hour. Yesterday they made fried chicken, collard greens, sweet potato pie and other artery cloggers. The result looked so good that I was inspired to try my hand at fried chicken. I mean my husband is a black man from the south - so what business do I have being his wife if I can't make some soul food! So, with appropriate advice and commentary from the southern black man, I proceeded to make my first batch of fried chicken. And although when I thought I was done, it was raw inside and I had to bake it before we could actually eat it, the end result was juicy and had that perfect brown crispy outside. So I got half of it right and look forward to improving my second attempt!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Congrat's on the cooking endeavor. LOL we both know i've more of the eating rather than cooking type, but good luck with the Soul Food (sorry this greek/italian can't help you out in that department, but if you ever want me to help you make a good sauce let me kno ;) )...and you could always institute the arrangement i plan on using when married...he cooks, i do the dishes...sound good to you? If my husband cant cook he better get used the idea of being skinny. lol

PS Happy memory (let's see if you remember it)....Me to You in the SBHS cafeteria: "Did you see shaquilla's ear?"

jl said...

Hey, don't underestimate the negative side of life! It takes balance right? But am so excited for your blogging endeavor!

lots of Love!
Jess