Saturday, August 16, 2014

Myki Goes to Kindergarten

Alexandria City Public Schools has this wonderful program called K Prep.  It is a week of half days for all of the incoming Kindergarteners to practice taking the bus, acclimate to this new big boy/girl environment and for the teachers to get an idea of what they'll be working with on the First Day of School, September 2nd.

I expected tears (on both ends) and anxiety (on my end) about him stepping up to this next phase of life - real school.  But there was none of that.  Mostly, I felt relief that I had successfully navigated these critical 0-5 years; I felt tremendous pride at this big beautiful boy who excitedly hopped on to the school bus with confidence, who waived me off on that first day and asked the teacher questions from that first moment in the classroom; and I felt incredibly close to my husband, Michael's father, for standing next to me (sometimes ahead of me) in the journey that got us here.

As I reflect on the last week and prepare myself for the real deal in two weeks, I think of all the things I want Michael to know as he begins his formal education:


  • You you can do this.  You are smart, kind and funny...so interesting and interested in everything.
  • Not everyone will like you, and that is ok. You will find some very special friends in the next twelve years and a handful of very close friends will always outweigh a crowd of cool kids.
  • No matter what anyone says, being smart is cool.  Don't ever be afraid to participate in class, raise your hand when you know the answer and ask questions when you need help. 
  • If something is really hard, it just means you need to keep working at it.  Everything won't come naturally.  But accomplishing something after a struggle is often much more satisfying than accomplishment without effort.  Don't give up, keep pushing and you will figure it out.
  • Daddy and I are here to help you.  Just ask us. 
  • Daddy and I are proud of you, no matter what.
Here's to a fabulous school year for you all!





No comments: