Saturday, February 22, 2014

Insights from a Business Traveler

I'm going to be totally honest here.  I am pretty detail-oriented when it comes to my work but for most other things, I'm firm on the big picture and kind of flying by the seat of my pants for the details.  One example of this - travel.  I used to think I was good at traveling.  Turns out, doing something a whole bunch does not necessarily make you good at it.  Or perhaps I just haven't completed the requisite 10,000 hours Malcolm Gladwell's research shows is needed to really be an expert at anything.  And being rather out of practice definitely makes you worse.  Consequently, I have learned quite a bit in the last six months of bimonthly business travel - particularly that there is some value in the details!

My 5 Travel Lessons Learned (or at least, Business Travel lessons learned)

1. The luggage you think you need is probably not really what you need.  

Case in point, the very snazzy Samsonite carry-on size garment bag I insisted upon.  Turns out it doesn't accommodate all of books and brochures I often have with me on work trips.  It is also too wide for the airplane aisle and because it has two wheels vs four, it can be a rather heavy strain on my wrist when it's full.  My Vera Bradley weekender is also beautiful, but when full, it weights more than my four year old, which unfortunately, is the maximum capacity I am able to carry.  

What I really need is a standard carry-on spinner and a rolling laptop case that fits snuggle on top.  After $200 in luggage purchase, now I know.

2. Just because your company always covers a car rental, doesn't mean you always need one.

The parking in some cities is absolutely ludicrous. Navigating a new city is often a waste of time. And most major cities and the downtown areas where business meetings might be are full of taxis.  I often fear not having a car will limit me in some ways but, it doesn't always make a whole bunch of sense.

3. Packing your workout clothes does not mean you will definitely work out.

I often make excuses for why I can't work out or eat well for that matter.  Who can make time for that with drop off and pick up and a family to cook and care for?  My meetings never exceed past a business day, leaving time for working out and finding a healthy dinner.  And yet, I don't always do that.  I have learned that I need to do more than just pack my workout clothes.  I need to schedule working out just as I would schedule a meeting and I need to do some advanced planning around good food options that are also good for me.

4. You can very easily be somewhere for work and not get to have any fun.

Even when I build in some leisure time, I often piddle it away answering emails from my room.  I have been to ten cities in the last six months and can't say I've seen very much.  But I've had some intentional moments in a great local restaurant or in front of a postcard-worthy view.  Some advanced planning in this regard goes a long way - is there a free hotel shuttle to a landmark or a particular type of local fare that just can't be missed? How far is all of that from the hotel or the last meeting of the day?  I had the best breakfast of my life in Denver and the best hotel view I could imagine in San Diego when I put a bit more thought into where I was actually going.

5. Interesting people are everywhere!

This one isn't about planning or details, just a surprise I've experienced.  I don't talk to strangers.  I barely smile at people in public and do my best not to make eye contact.  But I've sat next to some chatty Kathies in my travels, stood on-line with people who aren't obsessed with their smartphones and gotten some great tips and guidance when asking for help.  While small talk is still not my favorite pastime, there is some value to hearing people's stories and sharing a bit of your own as you go.

Happy Travels everyone!

No comments: