Saturday, July 10, 2010

Another pearl of wisdom from my one-a-day mommy calendar

I hope that my child
looking back on today
remembers a mother who had time to play.
Children grow up while you
are not looking;
There'll be years ahead for
cleaning and cooking.
So quiet down cobwebs;
dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and
babies don't keep.
- Author Unknown

In my 13 1/2 months as a mother, by far the most overwhelming part for me has been keeping up with the chores. The role of house manager is not one I was raised to fill and when I lived alone, even when it was just Mike and I, messy was ok. Every now and again it got out of control and Mike and I would buckle down and spend a weekend excavating.

But once Myki arrived, clutter and mess became unacceptable. Especially once he started moving around and absolutely anything on the floor was something to taste or trip over. It seems silly I'm sure, but I obsess over how much I hate cleaning and how one-sided the task seems to be.

But this poem says it all. I can plop Myki in his highchair with TV and Cheerios as his companions while I spend hours on the house or I can spend that time with Myki and settle for the reality that my house is not worthy of a Good Housekeeping spread but my son is having a blast!

No comments: